Thursday 6 November 2014

Culture - Annabelle - Movie Review

So finally, after weeks of begging I got to go see the new horror movie, Annabelle. May I just add, I have been actually planned to see this on two other occasions - one ended with myself passed out on my bed due to exhaustion and the other ended in a trip to A&E. So eventually after all the waiting, I got into see the movie, popcorn and drink in hand. And, I wasted two hours of my life.

Much like every other horror movie out there, all the best bits were in the trailer. Apart from a few extra jumpy moments, there wasn't anything special. I didn't stay up all night worrying about a possessed doll, I wasn't constantly question every little sound in the house, nor was I even remotely concerned. This really disappointed me, because unlike all other movies, I expect horrors to give me some sort of irrational fear to take home with - even if it lasts just one night. With Annabelle I already knew what was happening, I could tell by the music, the silence, the camera angles. 

The worst and most lingering one was perhaps when the camera zooms in on Annabelle and slowly, we expect he to move, make some creepy gesture, but the screen just jumps to black - End of movie. It's disappointing, and it doesn't make me as a viewer believe that one the story is real or that in fact it could happen to me. The whole reason horror movies are so scary is because they can somehow resonate with the audience, making them believe this could really happen to them. 

But perhaps it wasn't all Annabelle's fault. I am an avid horror movie watcher - I know the tricks. I personally feel that we are again becoming too open to the ideas in horror movies. There was once a time when The Shining and The Fly were the most scariest films around, and now they can be easily played off as background music. We aren't being shocked at all, nothing is scary enough. On the other hand, movie producers have to consider the fact that if they push the limits it may be going too far. Myself personally, I hate watching Quentin Tarantino movies, simply for the fact he adds far too much gore and blood than needed for a shock factor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment