Saturday 8 November 2014

Advertising - Social Issues - You're Not A Sketch

When I'm trawling through Instagram, I often see drawings similar to the one below:


At first I saw them as fashion sketches meant to extenuate the design of the dress and help show the way an item may flow in real life, making the image more realistic and less 3D. But when I saw Revolution Brazil's advertisement campaign, which included sketches like these, I started to think deeper into what the images may connote for other people. 

In a survey commissioned by REAL magazine, 97% of women are unhappy with their body, with a further 73% thinking about their size and/or shape at least once every day. That is a of unhappy women. But I can personally see why. In all the gossip magazines available on new stands, weight it a big issue - whether it is if a celebrity has recently put on weight or if they have managed to loss weight. Weight and body image is a newsworthy topic apparently. Many magazines mock celebrities that have put on some weight, which unless all their readers are size zero, may offend some people, and cause them to feel bad about themselves. Due to the heavily distorted image that women should look like the image above, it's no wonder that approximately 269 thousand woman are clinically diagnosed as having an eating disorder. 

Revolution Brazil have created an ad to show women that being a 'pretty' as a woman in a sketch may not be all that it's cracked up to be. 

public-interest-public-awareness-ads-63

When seeing this image for the first time I physically felt sick. Although the simple background is meant to draw you into the central images, all I wanted to do was to stare into the abyss. It was painful for me to look at the model, but that was the reaction Revolution wanted. Without even seeing the painful sore joints, the sunken facial expression should be enough to show ladies everywhere that size doesn't always make you happy - even if you are thin.

I found that this advertisement evoked some personal emotion with me, having suffered with body issues myself. As much as the ad does convey the informative message as intended - I really do wish Revolution had gone further into the issue. I would have developed the campaign further and explored a positive message for the audience, this could increase the self esteem of the audience whilst also getting the original message across. 

Information found via;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-146021/Most-women-unhappy-bodies.html

http://www.anorexiabulimiacare.org.uk/information-and-statistics-media

http://www.boredpanda.com/powerful-social-advertisements/

No comments:

Post a Comment